Everyone experiences anxiety in different ways. There are people who wake up with this feeling at night or before going to sleep is when they notice the symptoms most. These people experience this problem at night, but it can also happen that it lasts all day, although when the sun goes down, they can feel it much more aggressively. As having this problem during the hours in which we have to rest ends up affecting our quality of life, it is very important to know the reasons why it happens and, thus, to be able to find a solution as soon as possible. Therefore, we are going to explain how to control anxiety at night.
- Why do you have anxiety at night?
- How to control anxiety at night?
- When to go to the doctor?
Why do you have anxiety at night?
First of all, it is essential to know why you have anxiety at night. Finding out the causes that cause it can help you find a suitable solution to your problem and that your nervousness and overwhelm can diminish little by little. This problem at night can be caused by various problems such as going to bed under stress.
The causes that can cause this feeling at night can be so many that they generate confusion, but it is important that you do a reflective work to be able to find out. There are a few possibilities that can help you find the cause:
- Stress from work: Coming home and constantly thinking about work.
- Too many occupations in the morning: Having too many occupations in the morning can make you feel anxious about everything you have to do when you wake up.
- Sleep problems: If you anticipate that you are not going to sleep well, it is likely that you will get nervous, overwhelmed and stressed, when you see how the hours go by and not be able to rest. In addition, if you suffer from insomnia it is also easy for you to end up producing this problem.
- Restless legs syndrome: This is a disorder that begins at night and leads to discomfort and pain in the legs. This will make it very difficult to sleep and cause this problem for you.
- Stressful events at the end of the night: Sometimes anxiety can occur because they are associated with events. For example, going to bed as a couple having marital problems, having arguments before going to sleep, etc. This can make you feel anxious at night.
- Physical problems: There are people who may have physical problems at night and who feel more pain or discomfort from various causes, reacting with increased stress and nervousness to these events.
In addition, it should be mentioned that anxiety can also be caused by negative or repetitive thoughts, fears or phobias that can affect the nervous system as pathologies. It is necessary to identify what is causing it, in order to seek the necessary help as well as the relevant solutions.
How to control anxiety at night.
There are some simple methods that can help you reduce anxiety at night. Although the only way to ensure that you do not have this problem at night is to cure the problem itself completely. But until you do, you can break the cycle of anxiety with some tips such as the following:
- Keep your mind busy: The first thing you have to do is try to be busy. No matter how tired you are from work, try planning other things to do that you like.
- Exercise: It is important to be physically active. One of the best cures for this problem in the short term is to do aerobic exercise. If you exercise just before the moment when you usually have anxiety, so much the better. The exercises Mindfulness are also perfect to combat this problem.
- Maintain some routines: Routines are synonymous with emotional comfort. Having daily routines is very calming for the mind and body.
- Have goals: It’s a good idea to set goals and targets to keep your mind busy, but it doesn’t hurt to focus on the future in a positive way at night. A goal can be to finish a book or to do a puzzle… it will help you keep your mind occupied.
- Work on your self-knowledge: It is important that you are aware of this problem that you have and that you look for the reason why it appears to you. If you know yourself well, you will know what your way of feeling is and thus you will also be able to break the cycle of anxiety earlier. Accept the feeling and try to find solutions.
- Natural remedies: There are some natural remedies that can help you improve and control anxiety at night. Some infusions such as linden, valerian or lemon balm are relaxing and you have them in any supermarket to drink at night. Even if you go to herbalists you can find Bach flowers to treat anxiety, which if you do not like medicines, can also be a good solution for you.
- Watch what you eat: You should take care of what you eat because there are foods that promote nervousness and, on the other hand, other foods serve to reduce anxiety such as green leafy vegetables, nuts, avocado, etc.
- Specific medications: If you go to the doctor, they may also prescribe some specific medications to control anxiety at night so that you can rest better. Medications should always be prescribed by a specialist doctor and followed up by you.
It is important that you find the cause of this problem to find the solutions because a night’s rest is essential for a good mood. If you don’t get a good night’s sleep due to anxiety, this may trigger more irritated moods and increase this problem.
When to go to the doctor?
It is important that you think about when you should go to the doctor because of the anxiety that comes to you at night. If, for example, it is only about temporary nerves because you are more stressed for specific reasons, you must find a way to find calm for yourself. For example, if you have an important conference and you feel nervous at night days before, try using relaxation techniques and taking herbal teas to calm down.
On the other hand, if anxiety at night lasts for more than two weeks and you begin to realize that it is beginning to harm your quality of life, then do not hesitate to go to the doctor to explain your situation and to be referred to the specialist.
This article is merely informative, we do not have the power to prescribe any medical treatment or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.