Depression is a disorder whose main characteristic is a feeling of great sadness. There is what is called “reactive depression”, which is generated by an extreme reaction to an external event, such as an accident or the death of a loved one. This type of depression is normal in the face of such events. But there is also what he calls “endogenous depression“, which appears for no apparent external reason, and has a biological cause. Those who suffer from it are invaded by an excessive feeling of sadness and melancholy, they tend to lose their appetite, it is difficult for them to sleep, among other things. Although it is a difficult condition to treat given the characteristics of the symptoms, it is not impossible. Here we will give you some tips to treat endogenous depression.
Steps to follow:
- Go to a specialist doctor. This type of endogenous depression, generally, cannot be overcome without the intervention of a specialist doctor. He will be the one to indicate the medical steps to follow, and will surely also propose the use of antidepressants as a complement to the treatment.
- Perform exercise. As in all disorders related to mood, exercise is the best ally. It promotes the release of endorphins, the hormone related to joy and happiness. Going for a walk, running, and biking daily are some of the recommended exercises in these cases.
- Modify eating habits. As always, a good diet is essential for your body to function 100%. Although you may not have an appetite during depression, try to eat every four hours. In addition to the four basic foods, in between, try to eat some fruit. Your body needs to have all the necessary nutrients to fight endogenous depression. The consumption of vitamin C is recommended, which can be found in citrus fruits, some vegetables and nuts. Also, folic acid, which is found in carrots, tomatoes, and apples.
- Do acupuncture. Experts on the subject recommend this type of ancient technique, since it works fundamentally with the energy of the body. There may be blocked energy or low energy in certain areas, its release or its increase being important so that the energy flows naturally.
- Practice meditation. Relaxation and breathing techniques have very positive effects on these types of illnesses. It is important to release tension and try to bring your body back into balance.
- Try to support yourself in your loved ones. It is essential to trust them and let them help. If you need to talk to someone, do it. Many times, talking about the situation helps us understand it and want to change it. The change comes from you.
- Try to write your feelings on a sheet, put them out. Write how you feel and everything you think. Then read it, try to think of all the positive things you have, hold on to that positive thought.
- Do new activities. Try to implement in your routine some activity that you like or a hobby, something that generates pleasure in you. If you can’t find anything that excites you, plan something else like visiting a friend, reading a book, going to the park.
This article is merely informative, we do not have the power to prescribe any medical treatment or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
- Talk to a doctor to find out, in detail, how to treat endogenous depression.