Many times, when we are sad, we tend to say that we are depressed. This confusion of terms has made people think that any situation that causes us to be low in spirits is a depression. But while sadness is a fleeting feeling, depression is a more complex and profound condition produced by different factors, including an alteration in the production of certain substances by our brain. So how do you know if you have depression? in this article, we explain it to you in detail.
Steps to follow:
- The sadness is characterized as a temporary state that occurs in response to any kind of grief or situation before us is not pleasant, such as job loss, death of a loved one, the end of a relationship etc.
- For its part, depression is a clinical condition characterized by deep sadness that prevents us from enjoying our day to day life and the situations that occur to us. This is accompanied by various psychic alterations of medium or significant complexity depending on the case of each patient.
- Depressed people present a significant decrease in the levels of enjoyment of their environment and the experiences that occur to them. The things that happen to them are no longer pleasant or pleasant, and can create an environment of negativity in their environment. This is one of the main symptoms of depression. Sadness is a temporary state in which our mood can alternate. There are times when we cry, but as we get over the duel this scenario improves.
- People who suffer from depression feel sad and cry very frequently, with symptoms that can occur daily or very frequently, either for a few moments or, in more severe cases, most of the day.
- Another characteristic of depression is the alteration in sleep patterns. Depressed people can spend many hours sleeping or, on the contrary, have frequent episodes of insomnia in which rest becomes difficult. This symptom can exacerbate the condition, making sadness worse.
- All of the above symptoms make depressed people feel weak, with little energy and minimal desire to carry out activities or undertake new projects. This condition leads to important behavioral changes in which the patient does not recognize himself, finding himself as a very different person from who he was before feeling depressed. In more severe cases, feelings such as wishes to die or suicidal thoughts may occur. Although people often confuse sadness with depression, it is true that sadness if it lasts for a long time could turn into depression.
- If a person who faces a grief or sudden change in his life, spends more than two continuous weeks crying frequently and for a long time, with negative thoughts, weakness, little interest in his surroundings, sleep disturbances or lack of enthusiasm of any kind, could be entering a depressive picture.
- While it is true that there are many ways to combat depression, it is important to understand that it is a psychiatric condition, so only a professional in the field can diagnose depression and apply the appropriate treatment.
- Depression is also a symptom of various diseases, which is why it is so important to carry out an evaluation to apply the appropriate treatment as the case may be. If you suspect that you suffer from depression, we recommend you consult a specialist.
This article is merely informative, we do not have the power to prescribe any medical treatment or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.