We have all experienced symptoms of anxiety at some point. It is normal and does not matter until it is installed in our lives for a season. Anxiety is capable of disrupting our life and reducing our well-being, since it does not allow us to be calm. Depending on the degree of anxiety we suffer, it can even lead to certain related health problems.
Regardless of whether it happens to us in isolation or continuously, there are very effective techniques to control this problem. If this is your case, in this article you will find the best techniques to quickly calm anxiety.
- What is anxiety?
- Symptoms of anxiety.
- Techniques to calm anxiety and nerves quickly.
What is anxiety?
Before deciding that you have anxiety, let’s briefly describe what it consists of. Anxiety in its essence, taking stress as a base, is a defense mechanism that we have. It is the system that keeps us alert in threatening situations. As such, it is very useful and has served us to preserve ourselves as a species: it is what has protected us from danger for thousands of years. It helps us to act in the face of threats and to choose the most appropriate at all times.
However, what anxiety currently represents is an alteration of that defense mechanism. Due to certain personal or environmental factors, the state of alert is maintained over time, involving negative cognitive and behavioral distortions.
Symptoms of anxiety.
If you don’t know if you have anxiety, knowing your symptoms can help clarify a bit what is happening to you. Let’s see what are the main symptoms of anxiety:
- Physical symptoms: Include palpitations, tachycardia, feeling short of breath, chest pressure, nausea, digestive and eating disorders, tremors, muscle tension, tiredness.
- Behavioral symptoms: One is hyper-vigilant, there are blocks to act or speak, or otherwise, nervousness, and talk too much. Difficulty being at rest and still; there is also body stiffness.
- Psychological symptoms: Fear, restlessness, feeling of emptiness, difficulty making decisions.
- Intellectual symptoms: Concentration difficulties, tendency to overestimate the negative, obsessive thoughts, susceptibility.
Techniques to calm anxiety and nerves quickly.
If we need something when anxiety appears, it is to be able to calm it quickly, because in a matter of minutes we can feel a large number of unpleasant symptoms; The use of these techniques will help us to be able to stop those symptoms or part of them.
The first thing to do is accept the anxiety. Do not try to deny or ignore it, accept that at that moment you have anxiety and nothing happens because you will solve it.
Let’s see what these techniques are to calm anxiety and nervousness:
- For what is causing the anxiety: If you can figure out when or why it started, try to interrupt that current. In any case, even if what you are doing is not related, if you have too much anxiety, it is better to stop doing that activity, to get out of the state we are in.
- If you have the possibility, start walking, running, jumping or dancing. Choose music that relaxes you and encourages you at the same time and move while your body releases dopamine, serotonin and adrenaline.
- Look at your face and, if it is tense and with a worried or angry expression, try to change it. Think of something cheerful and smile as sincerely as you can. Try to keep this smile and your brain will adapt its state to the smile.
- Sit correctly, at a right angle without being tense. Then, breathe in slowly for a count of 4. Hold your breath for a few moments and then let it out slowly for a count of 7. Repeat this several times, slowly, always catching and releasing the air through your nose.
- Do some small rewarding task. This includes everything from fixing your plants (it keeps you focused, improving something) or the things that are in the middle of your home, to doing the dishes (you focus on the temperature of the water, the texture and the colors of what you scrub and it is still a completed task, which is satisfactory).
- Spend a few minutes doing one of your favorite hobbies: Drawing or coloring something, reading for a few minutes, singing loudly.
- If your physical condition is somewhat sloppy, focus on grooming yourself so that you are comfortable and feel good. Combing your hair, improving some aspect of personal hygiene, choosing the clothes that best suit you. These are small gestures that will take you away from the situation that generated your anxiety and, at the same time, bring you well-being.
This article is merely informative, we do not have the power to prescribe any medical treatment or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.