The anxiety is a process that at low doses is considered normal and is defined by the feeling of fear or anxiety mild in extreme situations that we find difficult to cope with. Anxiety can be useful to overcome yourself, although its symptoms (tachycardia, rapid breathing) are very unpleasant. In phases of normal anxiety, it usually disappears after leaving the phenomenon that caused it. The anxiety attacks are mild episodes that usually can be treated without medical help because they are transient and not serious, and therefore, we offer information to treat an anxiety attack.
Steps to follow:
- During the anxiety attack the most complex factor is the alteration of breathing, it represents the most unpleasant symptom of the process. When we suffer an anxiety attack, we tend to breathe rapidly, which causes respiratory distress. To solve the feeling of suffocation, it is advisable to try to calm down: closing your eyes, bringing to mind a good memory and inhaling through the nose and exhaling the air through the mouth very slowly. You have to follow this cycle for a few minutes while waiting for breathing to return to normal. No one is going to drown or run out of air.
- It is possible that anxiety manifests itself during the night through leg cramps, tics, insomnia, nightmares, the treatment during sleep is more complicated than that of breathing but there are a series of strategies that help improve quality of sleep in people with a tendency to anxiety. It is recommended to sleep between 7 or 8 hours on a set schedule, have a clean, ventilated room and wear comfortable clothes for rest, exercise daily and not use the bed for anything other than sleep.
- In cases where the sleep pattern cannot be corrected by the above routine, the use of natural remedies or drugs (benzodiazepines/muscle relaxants) may be required to help induce sleep.
- To prevent the anxiety attack it is required to follow a healthy diet and avoid heavy digestions. It is important to use meals as a moment of rest and a break from our work purposes. It is good to take advantage of food to make a social and family life and it is recommended not to abuse alcohol in meals.
- Carrying out physical exercise gives us relaxation. It is recommended, at least, to walk at a fast pace about 30 minutes a day. It can be helpful to exercise outside and share the experience with people you know.
- Like the previous physical aspects, it is important to take care of mental health. That is, trying to be at peace with yourself, learn to solve stressful problems, build positive social relationships, and deal with the fears that lead to anxiety attacks.
This article is merely informative, we do not have the power to prescribe any medical treatment or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.