Everyone, at some time in life, has suffered from anxiety, because this is nothing more than the alert mechanism that the body uses to warn us that something is not right. Therefore, when we feel fear walking down a dark street or nervous before an important presentation, we are feeling anxiety.
However, when the brain is constantly on alert and without reason, a person is considered to be suffering from anxiety or suffering from generalized anxiety disorder. Generally, both conditions must be treated by a specialist, however, people suffering from anxiety need a lot of help from those around them. If you want to know how to help a person with anxiety, read this article carefully where you will find all the keys you need.
Steps to follow:
- People with anxiety often feel overwhelmed by their symptoms and may even experience anxiety out of fear of having it, which sometimes leads to despair and panic. Therefore, to help a person with anxiety, the first thing to do is understand it, because you have to understand that anxiety is involuntary, that it costs a lot to control it and that most of the time it does not depend on the person who appears or not.
- Understanding the symptoms of anxiety, taking into account that it is a mechanical reaction of the brain, understanding that there may be crises and giving a lot of support and transmitting that everything will be fine is essential. People with anxiety feel misunderstood and often ashamed, which is why it is so important to put yourself in their shoes and let them know that we understand how they feel.
- You must motivate her, do not let anxiety take over her state of mind and believe that feeling like this is the end of the world. You can search for a list of famous personalities who have suffered from anxiety and who lead their lives normally. Always showing him the good side of things, showing him that there is no greater gravity in situations and putting his feet on the ground, is also necessary to help him.
- There is a question that can be used to help a person with anxiety: “Is your fear justified?”. Most of the time this answer is negative, because fear is not justified but created by the brain that is constantly sending warning messages. Understanding that everything is in the mind and that these symptoms are nothing more than a bad move of the organism, it is necessary to lower the levels of anguish and come to reason.
- Another way to help is by teaching her to breathe properly. When you breathe in through your nose and breathe out slowly through your mouth, the brain automatically slows down the movement of the amygdala that anxiety demands and symptoms begin to disappear and calm is restored. For this to work, it is necessary to breathe for more than 15 minutes with the diaphragm.
- The meditation is an excellent discipline to promote calm, reduce stress and calm nerves. The ideal is to meditate every day for 20 minutes and it is not necessary to go to a temple or sit cross-legged and repeat mantras: just be in a comfortable position, begin to breathe very slowly through your nose and exhale through your mouth and concentrate, as much as possible, on the rhythm of the air while avoiding any thoughts that may appear.
- You can also help a person with anxiety by encouraging them to exercise. Exercise has the power to dispel anxiety symptoms in an almost magical way, to the point that after 30 minutes of training the anxiety disappears for the rest of the day. The effect that exercise has on the production of serotonin (a wellness hormone) allows the person to stay in a good mood for longer and the brain to lower alert levels.
- If you want to help someone with anxiety during a crisis, the first thing you should do is tell them to start breathing in slowly through your nose and out through your mouth. Sit her in a place where there is fresh air, give her a glass of water, and stay by her side until her breathing lowers alertness and hyperactivity. If the person is on medication, ask when was the last time they took their pill and, if necessary, give them the medication that their doctor has prescribed.
This article is merely informative, we do not have the power to prescribe any medical treatment or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.