It is clear that quitting a vice is never an easy task. It requires desire, willpower and a lot of conviction but, although it is difficult, it is not an impossible task and far from feeling weak, you should strengthen your ability and your spirit to remove from your life what hurts you. Quitting tobacco is undoubtedly for many a great challenge that generates a lot of concern, that is why we give you some keys so that you know how to control anxiety when quitting smoking.
Steps to follow:
- Start by rationalizing your thoughts, when you have been smoking for a long time the act of lighting a cigarette is almost instinctive, you don’t think about it much, you do it out of habit. Thinking that you don’t need it, trying to mentally overcome that habit and feeling capable of doing it will help you reduce anxiety and stress
- See the positive side, instead of focusing on what you need, what you need, how you feel bad without it, think about how great you are for having left it, how much character you have, how good it will be for your health, for your performance, your lungs, etc., this will comfort you by reducing restlessness.
- Occupy your mind, this is vital, even when you were smoking you would surely notice that the busier you were, the fewer cigarettes you had the opportunity to consume, the less time you had to think about it, so a great exercise to eliminate restlessness is to find a new hobby.
- Exercise, this will make you feel healthier and will allow you to see how your lung capacity has improved by quitting tobacco, it will also serve to keep your mind occupied and in general to reduce stress.
- Maintain your willpower and remember why you left it, understand that although at the beginning it is difficult, later you will overcome it and you will be able to continue your life without this harmful habit. In order not to leave your purpose, we recommend that you keep an exhaustive control of the day that you will start to leave it and that you start considering prizes and rewards.
- For example, you can promise yourself that if you go 2 weeks without smoking a single cigarette, you will buy those boots or that cologne that you like so much. These extra motivations are a way of trying to reward your effort and feel good about yourself.
- But in order to control the anxiety of smoking, in addition to these mental processes that we have just indicated, it is also recommended that you carry out a series of treatments that will make it easier for you. In the pharmacy you will find products designed for this purpose such as patches, nicotine gum or electronic cigarettes.
- But if you prefer more natural alternatives, you will like to know that there are some herbs and foods that have optimal properties to reduce anxiety and make it easier for you to quit smoking, such as cinnamon or ginger.
This article is merely informative, we do not have the power to prescribe any medical treatment or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
- Remember that you do it for your health, so focus on overcoming anxiety and achieving your goal.