Throughout life we have all been depressed, however depression cannot be confused with sadness. A person is considered depressed when he is more than two months old feeling sad, sometimes for no apparent reason. Some of the symptoms of depression are insomnia (very common), difficulty concentrating, irritability, and poor personal hygiene.
Fortunately, getting out of a depression is possible, it just takes the disposition and good advice to leave behind that feeling of suffocation and emptiness that takes over the body. If you want to know how to get out of a depression, continue reading this article.
Steps to follow:
- Before knowing how to get out of a depression, it is necessary to mention that there are two types of depression: reactive depression, which responds to a painful event such as the loss of a family member, a divorce, layoff or any other emotional trauma, and depression endogenous that is due to biological and hormonal disorders, it can even be hereditary.
- You may have heard that exercise is as powerful as an antidepressant, so it is an excellent tool to get out of a depression. When we exercise, our body activates the production of endorphin and serotonin, hormones of well-being, which helps reduce anxiety and raise self-esteem. You can practice swimming, marathons, yoga, Pilates, etc., the options are endless and they all work.
- Facing depression alone is very difficult. Call a friend, unburden yourself, tell her what is happening to you and, above all, how you feel. You are not alone in this, millions of people in the world suffer from depression and have managed to get ahead, however, you need support. When we vent and talk openly about what happens to us, our body secretes oxytocin, a hormone produced by the pituitary gland that in the brain is related to trust and personal relationships. Avoid confinement, venting and sharing is part of the solution.
- Chocolate is one of the foods that helps to get out of a depression, since it is rich in tryptophan, an amino acid that the body does not produce and that is involved in the production of serotonin. It is not recommended that you eat a chocolate bar every time you feel depressed, but you can choose to eat a little during a crisis.
- Finding a hobby can help you get out of a depression. Surely there is some activity that you have always wanted to do and without a doubt this is the best time. Gardening, sewing, English classes, and even crafts can go a long way in raising your mood. Plus, these activities are great for meeting new people, making friends, occupying your mind, and stopping negative thoughts from depression.
- When we help others, we help ourselves, so doing social work is always an excellent idea to feel good and realize that it is not only we who go through difficult times. Understanding that everyone needs help, including us, is necessary to get out of a depression. You can join a foundation or a social project in your community. In a short time, you will see that your concept of yourself improves and you will feel doubly grateful.
- Meditation is an excellent way to connect with ourselves, with our emotions, and it helps us to face and relate in a better way with the world around us. Many are the people who have found themselves out of a depression through meditation, so it is good that you know how to combat depression with meditation.
- If you feel that none of these tips can help you get out of a depression, it is recommended that you seek help because it can be an endogenous depression. In theory, reactive depression should not last more than six months and when this period of time passes, psychological or psychiatric counseling is necessary to offer us personalized tools to overcome depression.
This article is merely informative, we do not have the power to prescribe any medical treatment or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.